Thursday, February 11, 2021

Halfway there

 Kim asked me if I was worried about getting my Covid-19 vaccination.

Not one bit, I said.

So this morning, I went to the Davidson County Health Department at the appointed hour, got the shot – Pfizer – and was back home within 20 minutes.

Originally, I was supposed to get my initial shot on March 5 through a different vendor. But an opportunity came up to get the shot this week, so I jumped on it and made an on-line appointment. I didn't want to have to wait another day, much less another month.

OK, OK. I'm still due for a follow-up shot on March 4, which should give me pretty close to full immunity when I get it. I know everybody is built differently, but the way I see it, I just knocked out needing a ventilator from the equation, should I ever get Covid.

My understanding is that the first Pfizer shot gives you about 50-60 percent protection. The second injection supposedly gives you about 90-percent plus.

As of today, I think I am one of about 46 million adults who have gotten the vaccine, which means I'm doing my part to help the country reach herd immunity. Right now, the vaccine is primarily targeted to first responders, essential workers and those in the population who are age 65 and older. I'm in the "and older" category.

When you get your shot, they keep you for about 15 minutes just to make sure there is no reaction to the shot. So far, my eyes haven't turned yellow, my ears aren't pointed, I haven't grown a tail, and there's no buzzing or ringing sounds in my head. 

They also give you a nice participation gift, a bag that includes a pen, a small container of hand sanitizer, and an information brochure.

Ahh. Information. Apparently, there's a ton of misinformation about the vaccine out there in Qanon world. My favorite misinformation bit is the one that claims bazillionaire philanthropist and Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates helped fund a vaccine that injects microchips into the human blood system for easier government tracking – as if the government doesn't have enough to do. The government has more than enough ways to track you anyway. Pay income taxes? Got a driver's license? Collect social security? Do Facebook algorithms much?

Gates is supposed to be in cahoots with presidential medical advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci because they're supposedly making millions off this pandemic.

Another fear out there in crazy online community world is that the vaccines have not gotten FDA approval (true) because it was rushed into the community without the usual many years of testing and study. Consequently, those getting the vaccine are nothing more than Guinea pigs and we'll all be sorry this time next year, just you wait and see.

But this is a new type of vaccine, focusing on mNRA lipids (I don't know what that is but it sounds impressive) and not actual virus elements to attack the viral intruder. Given that we're in a global health emergency, the FDA has given emergency approval for use. I'm in.

So, no. I'm not worried. I'm hoping this is ultimately a step toward normalcy. You know, eating in restaurants. Road trips. Vacations. No more masks.

Wait. There's now an annoying ringing in my head. Off. On. Off. On.

Oh, no wonder. Excuse me. I have to get this.

Bill Gates is calling me.

No comments:

Post a Comment