Sunday, November 21, 2021

Here we are again

Kim went into her Einstein mode the other day. 

I mean, true, she's a bright woman who offers plenty of deep, independent and original thinking that features some interesting perspectives of her very own. So it was no surprise to me when she boldly stepped into the slipstream of the time-space continuum:

"I can't believe Thanksgiving is here already," she sighed, looking ahead to Thursday. "Do you feel that way? I don't think I'm ready for it."

The subliminal message here is that if she's not ready for Thanksgiving, then it follows that she's not ready for Christmas, either. The first Sunday in Advent, after all, is only a week away. Already, some early Christmas decorations have sprouted up in the neighborhood that greatly support her early arrival hypothesis.

But to get back to Thanksgiving.

I tried to answer her, relying on my age (I'm nine years older than she) as the voice of experience.

"When you get older," I said, using my own best Einstein impression, "time seems to go faster."

You know. E equals MC squared. She ignored me, I think. Probably wisely.

She started ticking off all the stuff that has to be done, even though we're still unclear what's going to happen Thursday. We usually have a family gathering, but Covid could scotch that for a second straight year. Or we might just stay at home and fix our own meal. Kim prepares a great turkey breast in the crockpot, and her dressing and sweet potato casserole are to die for. There might even be a pumpkin pie out there. She inherited all her mother's cooking skills, which is why I'm in the gym every day.

We've barely done any Christmas shopping, but we avoid Black Friday like the plague. We'll probably do the boutique thing, filling out our gift list with Mrs. Hanes cookies, or finding somewhere that offers scented candles and soaps. Maybe a bottle of wine or two.

This pretty much all happens the Saturday after Thanksgiving but the Sunday before Advent.

So, unless the arrival of Thanksgiving is already on your radar, then, yes, I guess it does get here pretty fast.

Try not to get caught in the slipstream.



No comments:

Post a Comment