Sunday, August 27, 2023

Stunner times two

There was one moment during the first Republican presidential debate on Wednesday that absolutely took my breath away:

When asked by the moderator if Mafia Don were to be convicted in a court of law (and thus imprisoned), would they still vote for him to be President?

Six of the eight candidates raised their hands. Yes, they would support him.

Wait. Candidates running for the office of the President of the United States would vote for a criminal to be president if he was their party's nominee? Holy crap.

On the one hand, I think I know what's happening here. Given the choice, those voting for a criminal would rather do that than see a Democrat in office.

On the other hand, that's still pretty weak sauce. It shows a clear lack of respect for the presidency and it makes me wonder why they're running for the office in the first place if they hold it in such low regard. What a bunch of shallow, heartless, unpatriotic ignoramuses. How does putting a convicted criminal in the presidency serve the people of the United States? I'm pretty sure this unholy concept didn't figure into the thinking of the Founding Fathers as they crafted the Constitution.

Then, about 48 hours later, came the second stunner: Mafia Don received his new identity number as Inmate PO1135809 at the Fulton County Prison for alleged crimes (election interference) committed in Georgia during the 2020 election. You know, where he begs to Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensberger in what is a now a famously infamous phone recording, "I only need 11,000 votes. Fellas, I need 11,000 votes. Give me a break."

Give me a break. That's all you need to overthrow the will of the people. That's all you need to topple democracy. Give me a break. In government, these are the words of an unctuous autocratic demagogue.

Of all the 91 charges against him in four different venues, in my mind this recorded conversation stands as the most outstanding piece of evidence against him. Stop the steal, indeed.

Trump's mugshot, to my thinking, is almost comical. He's glowering. He's leering. He looks like a predatory insect out of a Marvel movie adventure searching for the Infinity Stones. You just know he rehearsed the pose over and over in advance, liking what he saw in the mirror. He might have have the shot taken over and over in the booking office until the cameraman got it right.

And now the T-shirt with the mugshot can be yours for a mere $34.

I don't know. I guess my vision of American government is more idealistic, and certainly less cynical, than what Mafia Don has to offer. I envision politicians who actually work for the people to try and make the lives of their constituents better; I envision politicians who actually abide by their oaths of office. 

It shouldn't be that difficult.

1 comment: