Sunday, March 26, 2023

Tourney tumbler

I never thought I'd live to see the day when I'd become a Miami Hurricanes fan.

But here I am, patiently waiting for this evening's final NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament quarterfinal game pitting the 'Canes against Texas for the right to advance to the Final Four.

How did this happen? How did I get here?

In my admittedly flawed self-analysis, I think this goes back to my days as a sports writer for The Dispatch, where I had the distinct pleasure of covering the Atlantic Coast Conference. The ACC was the center of the collegiate basketball universe back in those days and, as a consequence, I subsequently became an ACC snob.

So whenever the NCAA Tournament rolled around, I'd unprofessionally pull for all the ACC teams in that year's field.

That was back in the days when there were eight teams in the conference. But expansion has altered my perception of the league. There are now 15 teams in two divisions and the rhythm of the league's ebb and flow seems somehow diminished to me. It's unwieldy. Some of the teams, like Notre Dame, Louisville, Syracuse and Pitt are so far from the actual Atlantic Coast as to be absurd, if not comedic.

Several of the teams are refugees from the former Big East Conference, like the aforementioned Pitt and Syracuse. But you can also throw in Boston College and, yes, Miami. So maybe they should rename the league the Big Eastern Seaboard Conference. Still unwieldy, but at least it's a bit more geographically accurate. I mean, what are we teaching these kids about maps and GPS anyway?

But I digress. 

On Friday, the No. 5 seed Hurricanes took a huge step by humiliating No. 1 seeded Houston 89-75. In the round of 32, the 'Canes clobbered Indiana 85-69. In the opening round, Miami nudged Drake 63-56 in its closest game of the tourney.

Miami players like Isaiah Wong, Norchad Omier and Nijel Pack have run right through Tobacco Road to the sun-kissed beaches of Florida, taking the ACC with them. We'll see if the ride continues today.

And speaking of Florida, here's Florida Atlantic (good geographic name), a No. 9 seed, doing its best Cinderella impression, especially after knocking off No. 3 Kansas State 79-76 yesterday to make it to the Final Four! When did Florida become the basketball universe?

Where's Duke? Where's Kentucky? Where's Indiana? Where's UCLA? Maybe it's time for new blood to reign in the NCAA, I don't know.

Right now, I'll be pulling for the 'Canes, mostly because of my ACC habit. But of the teams remaining, I kind of like Connecticut. The Huskies appear to be well-rounded, especially with the likes of 7-2 freshman Donovan Clingan in the middle and Adama Sanogo on the wing.

Anything can happen on a given night, but if form follows form, watch out for the Huskies.

No comments:

Post a Comment